I’ve mentioned this on the blog before, but growing up my mom used to make giambotto for us all the time. It’s pretty much the easiest sheet pan dinner ever: throw whatever vegetables you have in the fridge on a sheet pan, add some meat, and roast until perfect. My mom makes it with all the Italian spices and and tosses it with parmesan cheese, and I swear it’s one of my most favorite meals. It’s warm and filling and cozy and so easy, plus it makes the house smell wonderful.
Before I get to the most recent iteration of the recipe I made, a quick guide to roasting dinners.
- If you’re using potatoes, you’re gonna want to put them in the oven on their own for about 15-20 minutes so that they’ll be finished cooking at the same time as everything else. Alternatively, wrap your potato in a wet paper towel and microwave for about 5-7 minutes before dicing so it can get soft.
- You can use pretty much any vegetables you have, fresh or frozen. My favorites are: onions, bell pepper, potatoes, green beans, sweet potato, mushrooms, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, and zucchini or any other squash.
- Season everything. A lot.
- If you’re using meat, be careful. No one wants dry chicken! When I use sausage, I just toss it in the pan with the rest of the vegetables and it does just fine. If you’re using chicken I would suggest either sautéing it in a pan on the stove top and just serving everything together, or add it chopped up to your sheet pan with about 10-12 minutes left.
And now for the version I made most recently! I hope you enjoy a taste of my home 🙂
Cook time: 40 minutes
- 2 potatoes, diced
- 1/2 bag frozen green beans
- 1/2 bag baby carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 5 Italian sausages, sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons basil
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- Parmesan cheese, to serve
- Preheat oven to 450°F. In a medium bowl, toss the diced potatoes with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 1 tablespoon each of basil, oregano, and salt, and half a tablespoon of garlic powder and black pepper.
- Pour potatoes onto a sheet pan and roast in the oven for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss the other diced vegetables with the remainder of the olive oil and spices.
- After 20 minutes, add the vegetables and the sliced sausage to the sheet pan, and cook about 20 minutes longer.
- Remove from the oven, toss with parmesan cheese, and serve